Re: Uroxi sense Chaos-tainted/marked ?

From: theunspokenword <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:56:51 -0000

> Morgan asks :
>
> >So why does Vinga have such a strong "resist it" component?
Seems
> >like it is not needed nor relevant.

Oliver replies:

> Ooh, good question. Possible answers, 1) It's a holdover from an
earlier
> period (though this doesn't work very well-why does she still
bother
> emphasizing it then?)

Well, it's mythic, it's part of what she is.

> ; 2) Men going wrong are still fairly prelavent in
> Heortling society despite the strong taboos. Can't say I like
this one much
> better. All those good intentions, proper role models and
relatively
> liberal sexual mores doesn't help?;

Frankly, this also works well. Most of what we've heard about the Heortlings is cosy Orlanthi propaganda, after all ;-) The trouble is that the Heortlings otherwise are a little too New Age Viking - a bit of rough and tumble over the neighbour's cattle, but meek New Men as soon as the women start giving Meaningful Stares. I think the Exiles aren't quite as atypical as they might seem - there must be scope for all sort of sub-Gagarthi nastiness on the margins of Heortling society, and in the absence of a police force, then mythic responses will emerge - including a Vingan posse!

> 3) Blame it on the foreigners. She
> wouldn't need it if it wasn't for those damn foreigners. Maybe.;

Yeah, sure. And until recently there were so many foreigners in DP... Anyway, then why not just focus on Smiting Foreigner or the like, instead, because you know they must All Be Like That...

> and 4) (My
> favorite) She hates it so much that despite it's rarity that her
followers
> are always prepared for retaliation. This would be my choice for
> explanation. (I guess this is still the same as reason one but
here it's
> gone from an archaic holdout to a cherished and deep felt belief).

Agreed, this is #1 with passion...

To be honest, 1, 2 and 4 all make sense to me. Trust me, looking as 'policing' is an excellent way of understanding the types of crime taking place in a society and which crimes people think important.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti