Re: Travels of Biturian Varosh question

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:19:31 +0200

Morgan Conrad :

> > As for the rest, we're getting nowhere.

I disagree.

> > Nobody has remotely
> > explained (to me) a Lunar Religious Philosophy (you know, the one
> > supposedly about LIBERATION) that is actually pro-slavery.

  1. There are _several_ Lunar Religious Philosophies (not just one), each contradicting the other somewhat, some of which are pro-slavery, others anti-, others neutral and/or both at the same time.
  2. Liberation itself has several aspects, some of which concern liberating the soul, others the body, and only some of which center on enfranchisement in the way of an anti-slavery movement.
  3. The latin word 'servus', on which hinges much of our understanding of slavery in the Ancient World, particularly the Roman Empire on which hinges much of our understanding of the Lunar Empire, would probably be more accurately translated as "worker" not "slave".
  4. Some people have NDAs hanging over them.
  5. There is a concept of 'travail' where self-mortification (and why not in the form of slavery ?) is supposed to lead to the liberation of self, body, and/or soul. Some Lunar Philosophies would follow similar essentially mystic paths.
  6. These are mystic concepts, hard to explain in the terms of modern materialist logic.

Julian Lord