Re[2]: How Nasty Is A Trickster?

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:11:12 +0200

Hello Andrew,

Sunday, September 22, 2002, 9:19:02 PM, you wrote:

AS> Caveat: I'm not Enlightened.

nor me! :)

AS> ...he could always wait and reveal it at the wedding, right after it's
AS> too late to do anything. Or wait until the first-born child, and keep
AS> making oblique references about who he really looks like...

I like this a lot and by the way this is how I handled this until now - the trickster making nasty comments, which seemed strange to the ignoramus, but were sharp puns to the couple.

>> how nasty is a trickster?

AS> As I see it, it isn't so much that tricksters are "nasty", as that they
AS> can't control their actions. ("...I even trick myself!") But that means,
AS> IMHO, that sooner or later, the news is going to come out--they just
AS> can't help themselves.

sounds like a problem of health....

>> what 'counter-measures' are legal for HIM to prevent the uncoverage?
>> thanks in advance.

AS> As I understand it, tricksters are completely outside of Heortling law.
AS> If the trickster isn't bound to an Orlanthi or in a prescribed role, HE
AS> can just kill the trickster out of hand--nobody will ask him to explain
AS> his actions. If the trickster *is* bound to an Orlanthi, HE can probably
AS> still kill him without *legal* consequences (other than, perhaps, having
AS> to pay a destruction-of-property ransom to the Orlanthi)--but the social
AS> consequences may be ugly, if, say, the Olanthi was just about to go on
AS> his Lightbringer's Quest and suddenly finds himself short a trickster.

I'm not sure if killing him should be so easy. after all, he's bond to the chieftain, who wouldn't be excited to hear these news, especially when the clan is in need of great magics, as in your example. so the trickster is not only the chieftain's property ["Vorngard knew he was in need of a new trickster when Helmgard came to his stead with 5 cows and a bloody chain"],
but also of importance for the whole community.

--
Best regards,
 Stefan                            mailto:stefan.drawert_at_...