Re: Re: Storm Bull and Urox

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:08:19 +0100

>Still no great gods are generated by (single)
>celestial beings. Also you must admit that SB is
>apparently an hybrid: a winged Bull and he can be
>reached both through theistic and animistic means.
>He _is_ an anomaly. Greg said that clearly.
>I repeat: anyone can see this anomaly as being due to
>different causes. I like to see it due to his mixed
>parentage. You (and John) like to see it due to
>something else. A matter of preferences.

I'm not convinced, as I said, that John is right. I'm not convinced that *John* is convinced that John is right. But it is an interesting possibility. A mixed being does not need to be due to mixed parentage. How about Urox and Storm Bull are actually completely seperate beings that have been later merged?

> > also not unknown amongst the Storm tribe - Babs Gor
> > springing fully formed
> > from her mother's body, for example.
>
>is not Baby from the Earth Tribe? She is a good
>Gloranthan counterpart of Athena, I agree, but I said
>Storm/Celestial Pantheons. Check above.
>Yes the Earth tribe is part of the heortling and
>Praxian mythology, but _Umath_ is a Storm/Celestial
>Court Being so Babs example is irrelevant, IMO.

But the Heortlings accept that beings can be produced in this manner, so it is very relevant. If they accept it for Babs, why not for Urox?

> > Personally, I like John's idea. Not sure if it's
> > true, but I like it. I
> > certainly wouldn't want to dismiss it by a mistaken
> > appeal to logic.
>
>Mistaken is not, IMO. But as I wrote, YGMV. I'm not
>stating a "canon" here, merely my preferences.

Any attempt at logic when applied to mythology is *always* a mistake, in my opinion. Mythology is not logical.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson