Magic when God is Dead

From: Mikael Raaterova <mikael.raaterova_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:30:29 +0200

We're having a discussion in my game group re: the fact that you can't use your god's powers during quests in the Great Darkness, if your god is Dead at the time.

That you can't use the power of your Dead god makes it clear that, say, the affinities a Destor devotee represent the capacity of the devotee to call upon Destor and use Destor's powers; the devotee doesn't have those powers himself. Not dissimilar to the powers of the devotee's follower ��the devotee can use them but they are his follower's, not his own.

If we assume that our Destor devotee has learnt some other power of Destor through a heroquest, say "Spot Squirrel". Is this heroquested ability also a capacity to call upon Destor's power of squirrel-spotting, or is it the quester's own power? Or, in more concrete terms, can he quest during the darkness and use his powers of squirrel-spotting, even though Destor is dead?

An Orlanth disciple has, to a large extent, become Orlanth. Can he quest during the darkness and use Orlanth's powers, considering that he to some extent *is* Orlanth, then and there? Or does his disciplehood preclude him from questing during the Darkness, since he is Orlanth, and Orlanth is busy in the underworld at the time?

Could someone please unconfuse me?