Re: Magic when God is Dead

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:22:12 +0100

>Simon Hibbs:
>>
>> Well since Orlanth was in the underworld, clearly there can't be
>> any myths of orlanth in the surface world at that time for a
>> follower to quest on, so I'm not sure what you're talkign about.
>> If he's following someone else's myth - as he would have to be
>> doing - then he'd be questing as them, wouldn't he?
>
>The questers were following someone else's myth, but some
>of them used Orlanth magic in the challenges that came up
>during the quest. Basically, it was a pretty experimental
>quest, where we knew neither the myth nor the magic of the
>mythical figures very wel.

One thought that I haven't seen mentioned is the question of whether the mythic role he is taking on had similar abilities. If not then using such powers might reduce the chance of success. On the other hand it might be possible to draw on the abilities of the role - possibly at the risk of becoming a worshipper of whomever they are representing.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.