Re: Re: Playing Powerful Characters

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 09:23:25 +0000

In article <5.1.0.14.0.20021129202008.01e49d80_at_...>, Graham Robinson <graham_at_...> writes

>>I don't consider beating up on someone a mastery less than you a use, or
>>doing magic at the same level you were happily doing a mastery ago.
>
>I reckon any game where the player is a mastery better but the challenges
>are the same is getting pretty dull (and therefore uncommon).

As an example, if you are travelling incognito the same bunch of bandits jumps you regardless of your abilities. Early in a campaign this is a big thing, later on its a "roll just in case you embarrass yourselves". The presence of the bandits can be important, saying something about the lands. The technical use of Close Combat clearly occurred. But do the players get to count it?

I also try to have the bench marks fixed - clan champions round the 10W - 10W2 regardless of player ability, etc.

> The point
>remains that by the rules, if a player wants high skills, he will get them,
>even if it breaks the game.

Not if there aren't the challenges present. Once you are the best fighter in the area you aren't going to get better unless outsiders come in (or you have some form of "mobbing" house rule)

> Some brakes on that need to be adopted.
>Personally, I hate ad hoc rules - I want something where the players don't
>need to ask me at all when doing the book keeping, so that I can just
>concentrate on the game world stuff. YMWV.

I also like the "book keeping" at the end of the session - it gives the players a chance to say "I did really well at X, can I send it up?" "I really got on well with Y, can I take a relationship" and so forth. This tells me lots about what was memorable for them, what they care about, and for that matter is really rather like Orlanthi boasting before your chief, looking for favours, in nature (and seems to be fun for them too).

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...