RE: Re: Spending HP

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:09:49 +0000

>Seconded. It's *not* a rules issue. It's the age old problem of self
>control.
>
>People complain about their players 'getting too powerful too quickly' or
>that they 'spend HPs even when they don't need to'. What's obvious to me is
>that a narrator should be far more than just the 'presenter' of the story.
>
>You have to encourage a balance. I am definately not suggesting enforcing
>some kind of artificial rule on this but guidance on how to play wisely.

Well, thanks for your obviously well thought out advice. I don't really have a problem, just a bunch of players with no self control. Are you trying to be offensive here?

The situation I'm discussing is :

(1) A planned four or five year campaign that could easily stretch to over 200 sessions. We're about half way there now. (2) A world scale based on the original rule book. Thunder Rebels hadn't come out when I started playing, let alone Barbarian Adventures. This places the likes of JarEel and Harrek in the 10W4 level. (3) Advancing your best skill to the W4 level takes about 60 increases - at an average increase of every other session (hardly munchkin territory) that means you spend 80 sessions above the JarEel level.

I'm suggesting a simple rules fix that slows this - I would of thought this was pretty unobjectionable.

But apparently I need to learn more wisdom (something I failed to do in the last two decades of running games) get some players with self control and change the stories I tell. Forget that the players feel quite challenged enough at the minute. Forget that we are all enjoying it thoroughly. Forget that there isn't a single overlap in the best three skills of the characters in the group. Obviously I shouldn't change the rules to support the stories we want to tell, I should change the stories to support the rules.

Personally, I'd have thought that if the group is enjoying the stories, then you shouldn't change the stories. But then I'm a fuckwit who knows no better and needs to be taught how to suck eggs.

--
Graham Robinson
graham_at_...

Albion Software Engineering Ltd.