How Dundracon runs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:57:35 -0800

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for the kind words, and we have one Glorantha GM signed up (not sure if it was because of the message here, or he just saw the impending Submission deadline :-) ).

> PS How is it at Dundracon, Roderick? Are you going to do a freeform
> or HeroQuest pen & paper sessions? Both?

If someone were to submit a LARP *now* we might or might not have room for it. We have an active LARP community in the Bay Area, and our LARP coordinator scrounges space as best she can, but we occasionally have to list "Outside, by the hotel sign" as the official location for a LARP (Fortunately, the Vampire crowd are just as happy outside in the dark :-) ). LARPs submitted earlier in the process (We started accepting game submissions in September) make it easier for her to assign space.

Table top games are always welcome, I normally run in the neighborhood of 150 games per convention. Each game gets a private hotel room (beds, TVs, phones, etc removed and a 10' round table installed in its place), and runs from 4 to 12 hours, for 6 to 12 players. The upper and lower limits are placed by me (I won't accept games smaller than 4 players/4 hours, and strongly encourage GMs to not run games over 12 hours/12 players, due to the strain it produces - not only on GM and players, but the rooms.).

Minis games are also encouraged - we have three salons dedicated to Minis, capable of handling upwards of 10 6-person games at a time. We do have some marathon minis games - tournaments that run over two days, but a lot of 4 or 6-hour games as well.

I'm personally not able to run (or play in) games at the con anymore. Though my "official" duties of Games Scheduling supposedly end before the con starts, I have to be on hand for emergency game changes, and I back up my wife at registering gamers into games. And since I wrote our new Game Reg software and it will debut this Feb, I can't really be far from reach. Our previous programmer would invariably run a game, then get pissy about being pulled out of it when something went wrong in his code (it happened just about every year). Plus I'm one of the committee most easily found or pointed out, so get a lot of the "*Please* deal with this customer while I get on with my real job" requests from the rest of the committee.

RR