Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:08:26 +1100

Jane:

> I seem to remember that Garhound the place is ruled by
> the Garhound family. Which name derives from which, do
> we know? Are we trying to find the myth that names a
> Sartarite person, or one that names a Praxian place?
> (Or, given its position on the border, a Sun County
> place?)
>
> How long has the town been there, anyway?

Sir Declan Garhound and his mob, who was a thane and maternal cousin of Dorasar the founder. We're assuming that Garhound village was resettled or at least extensively repopulated by the Sartarites, probably on the ruins of a settlement abandoned since the fall of Old Pavis.

So the 'garhounds' may originally be Sartari or from even further afield.

As Sartarites, the surname was originally a nickname or bloodline name, no doubt linked to a famous exploit or guardian.

> Do Praxians use hounds? Do Sartarites (when they don't
> have sheep to herd)?

I don't recall having seen Praxian dogs mentioned. (Scans eastern horizon for incoming Metcalfian exocets). Little use to the nomads, though the oasis people may have some semi-domesticated jackal types.

By Yinkin!, no self-respecting Sartarite clan would ever touch a dog. Except the Greydogs, who are, and do. :)

> My immediate thought, I have to confess, was a
> protective spirit of the town, which when it takes
> visible form looks like a long thin dog. It only
> appears if there's a threat to the town: if the source
> of the threat is outside the walls, it appears,
> "points" at it, and howls. If the threat is inside, it
> appears, points, howls, then tears its throat out....
>
> But I have no idea where this beast came from, why,
> who it used to be....

Lurverly image. Bo, are you reading this...?

John