Expanding the tribe

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:07:15 EST

Jeff writes:
>This is very much the case. I am finding many of the comments by
>Martin and Julian very reminiscent of those on the old Star Fleet
>Battles and Heroes digests from the early 90s.

Oh dear.

>Unfortunately, on these lists, the prevalent attitude of 'its okay for
>me, why shouldn't it be okay for everyone else'

I hardly think this is my attitude, but then again this seems to be the attitude of those wanting 'change' - their idea of how Glorantha can be made to be more gameable seems to be the "one true way" and any other opinions, regardless of how well backed up by those narrators personal experiences, are as so much wind...

>eventually resulted in
>the marginialization of these games and systems. More and more
>detailed supplements and systems were produced for an ever declining
>clientele until both games pretty much imploded. I would hate to see
>this repeat itself.

Agreed, we must avoid this, the question is not if we should avoid it but how?

>Many comments in this discussion have been prefaced with 'when I
>learned to play way back when' are fairly telling. But what about the
>opinions and experiences of those who are learning to play NOW? I have
>presented my experiences in teaching non-Gloranthan people in recent
>months and years but these observations seem to have been dismissed
>out by the 'older and wiser' hands.

Hmmm, I certainly have not dismissed your experiences but you seem to be dismissing mine and since I came to Canada I've introduced over 20 people to Glorantha, many of whom are still playing. In fact this year I've added a new player already who is 25 years of age and has had only D&D gaming dungeon bash experience before. He finds Glorantha deep but I've kept him away from worrying about that and he is enjoying the game world as a result, slowly learning as he goes.

In effect, what I am saying is that we have to find a way of presenting Glorantha that is both transparent to the new player and narrator yet adds to the Gloranthan pool of knowledge. I think from my own experiences this is entirely possible, but not easy especially if the narrator is new to it too.

However I do not market and sell games so my view is entirely _content_ based. I am assured by many that a picture is worth a thousand words and a good colour cover worth even more than that. That and layout are the turf of the experts and I bow to them on that and it seems to me increasingly that it is there that the battle to make Glorantha a popular game for the mass community will be won and lost.

Martin Laurie