Re: Orlanthi initiation rites

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:12:49 +0100

Viktor :

> > I don't really think you should run it as a real scenario.
>
> OK. Why do you think this?

Because InitiationQuests are like vortices or Black Holes, sucking everything else worth playing into a destructive psychodramatic void.

> But, /Thunder Rebels/ explicitly says that the female rites are
> an annual event, but the male rites every four or five years. So
> which not-adult males participate in this conjoined rite in the
> years in which the male rites are not celebrated?

The males have two initiations : the pre-initiation that takes them out of childhood, and the real initiation that turns them into men.

The common initiation rituals take place especially between these two limits (but not exclusively).

> > > (To what extent to other groups playing fantasy rolegames
> > > deal with this fact-of-female-life? Are there any essays on
> > > the net on incorporating it, or accounting for it, in one's
> > > game?)
> >
> > Yep. They boil down to "don't do it, it's a bad idea."
>
> Why? For the same reason that players in rolegames rarely pay
> attention to the sex lives of characters? Or rarely pay attention to
> the time that characters spend voiding their bodies of waste? Or for
> some other reason?

It is inherently uninteresting and tedious.

Julian Lord