Re: Re: Orlanthi initiation rites

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:26:22 +1100

> Because InitiationQuests are like vortices or Black Holes,
> sucking everything else worth playing into a destructive
> psychodramatic void.

I think this is an overgeneralisation. Initiation is just another kind of heroquest, except you have help. It is no more psychodrama than any other form of quest - in real world mythology the boon or gift of the quest is as often a personal transformation or enlightenment as a magic widget. I find it helpful to see one as shorthand for the other - and depending on your game style you can play up the character development or hand out skills or feats or magic widgets.

Any heroquest involves danger, dead ends and new perspectives. Initiation need not be any more or less harrowing than any other quest. And the fact that the participants know little is a great help if running new players.

It might not be the easiest quest to run - there would be a few descriptive moments as the GM describes players reliving creation and gods war (three paragraphs or less please), but if you treat it as part of character generation, with initiation actions leading to skills, I see it as eminently do-able.

Cheers

John