Re: Not Expanding the Tribe

From: me1stra <melstra_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:31:59 -0000

Many apologies...I can often be sharper tongued in email than I actually intended. It does happen to be my opinion that anyone can learn to have fun with a narrative system and can let go of their preconceived notions about what gaming requires. (Read: What? I can't play this! I don't have the rules! How many hit points is that? What's an AP?) In that way, I was actually trying to be MORE inclusive...but I guess it didn't come through well. (In my defense, if you look at the rest of the posting, I was actually trying to help people to understand how they can adapt alternate character generation into HQ games...so I hope I am on topic!)

I think the statement springs from some of my problems with my language students (I teach German)-- who often balk at the "communicative method" because they think that language learning HAS to revolve around rules and charts. I like to push people beyond their comfort zones...and that sometimes means making them uncomfortable by definition.

I'm not saying that we need to make people uncomfortable in order to win them over to Glorantha (doesnt' seem a good strategy in any book), but I do think we need to encourage people to try something new. Growing the tribe will have to be a combination of two things-- helping people see that HQ is not as different from what they are familiar with as they think, and also that _different_ is not necessarily bad-- that they can think outside the RPG box and have fun with something new.

I'm sorry if people were offended....though I did indicate that 'to each his own', and I'll stick to my guns that some gamers are unnecessarily set in their ways. For that matter so am I. ;-)

-
Melanie
growing older and more cynical with each passing lustrum.