Re: New Campaign Questions

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:40:40 -0800

Hi Doyle,

> Wyter Questions:
> The clan Wyter's three abilities start out at 10W, plus an amount
> calculated for Extraordinary Support from all the adults in the clan,
> correct?
>
> Thus with an average clan of 500 adults and 100 elders, this would be
> a +20, making each of the Wyter's three ratings 10w2, correct?

Yep. Of course, as Narrator, you can manipulate those ratings to suit your purposes, but that's the vanilla version.

> Any variation other than from the Clan Questionnaire is based on my
> assessment of the needs of the campaign, correct?

All variations should be based on narrator assessment, the Clan Questionaire allows the players to have a say ;-).

> Questionnaire Questions:
> There are several clan attitudes that can result from the
> questionnaire. May all of these by taken by the players if they wish?
> Is their any cost to their other abilities? In other words, is there
> any reduction in their abilities (number or rating) from character
> generation as a result of taking these?

Basically, you are making a "Clan Keyword" to go with the Cultural Keyword (or modify it, I suppose). So Orlanthi All members of your clan will have the abilities given by the questionnaire, and those abilities will be what other people will know about your clan - "Oh yeah, the Yellow Snows. They can weave up a storm, but they are snotty and keep thralls...".

> Are there any effects (campaign consequences, rather than game
> effects) from the picking of a Heortling tribe, or is this
> fundamentally ornamentation?

Unknown at this time. A few tribes we know are going to be trashed by the lunars (the Culbrea are a good tribe to stay away from :-) ).

> What's the Thing with Many Bodies? Disease spirits? Gorp?
> Miscellaneous Chaos monsters?

Whatever you need it to be. Leave it un-declared until you need to use it, then pull out the nastiest thing the *characters* can imagine (based on previous play).

> HeroQuest Questions
> What's the difference between a Talent, Spell, Feat, and Charm? I
> understand that it is all common magic, and I understand what most of
> these words mean in a Gloranthan context, but I am not certain about
> Charm and Talent.

Talent - An innate ability that comes only from you. You can specialize your magic in Talents, meaning that you give up magic from all the Otherworlds.

Spell - a common magic powered by the Essence/Sorcery plane.

Feat - a common magic powered by the God Plane

Charm - a common magic powered by the Spirit Plane. (ie., a little itty-bitty spirit that someone captured). Unlike the other three, charms can't be raised with Hero Points, but start at 20 instead of 17. (Yeah, a rip-off).

If you specialize in an Otherworld magic, you usually have to give up Common Magics from the other Otherworlds.

> What will be the amount for a `Standard Augment' i.e. one without any
> dice rolling?

1/10th your ability rating (round normally)

> One Last Question
> I am planning on all the characters starting as Initiate-level, i.e.
> 18-20 year olds. I was thinking that as Keyword ratings, I would go
> with Culture 12, Occupation 15, Magic 15 (no devotees), all others
> 12, and two abilities at 1w and 18. How does that sound?

Remember that magical rank (Initiate/Devotee) is not usually based on age. The Heortlings do not see a natural progression from Community Worshipper -> Initiate -> Devotee (-> Disciple) nor see it as as age based. Most people (in Heortling society) initiate to their gods and leave it at that (Note that Kallyr is only an initiate in both Vinga Dar and Rigsdal). Devotion is a special level of worship above and beyond the norm (in most people's eyes).

If the players have fun with that level of ability, then great. If they feel constrained by it, then you may want to "Fast Forward" a few years to give them better ability ratings. The HeroQuest "Fast Forward" method is one Keyword raised by 1/year of downtime.

Depending on what you want them to accomplish, you may wish to push the start date of your game back a bit so that they are at appropriate levels to deal with the larger events you plan to put them through (if any - you may wish to stay in Pavis fighting Rubble Bandits and Broos and ignore the Hero Wars entirely..).

> Some of these are rulez questions, but I am hoping that this forum is
> still appropriate for them. - Thanks,

Except for spelling it "rulez" I have no problem ;-). This forum is for "playing the game" and starting a game certainly counts as "playing" in my book.

RR