Re: When do we move to "HeroQuest" (or whatever) group?

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:44:31 -0000

> Swapping hats to the one that owns and moderates far too many Yahoo
> Groups: yes, you can rename a group, and in this case it would be a
> very good idea to do so rather than starting a new one. Anyone who
> has email filters set up to auto-file messages from here will have
> to redo them, but it's worth it.
>
> New groups, created today, will have a message archive of 32Mb.
This
> group, being "old", has a comparatively massive 512Mb available to
> it, of which we're currently using 43Mb. If we move, we lose that
> space. And I think (hope) we're going to need it!

Good points, Jane. I'd hate to lose both our database and drive allocation. I have migrated groups in the past and been haplessly involved in some truly massive migrations (the 5000+ person Legend of the Five Rings group had to be moved twice in quick success). It always causes headaches. Fragmentation and signal loss are the least of the worries.

At the moment, I am not too unhappy with Yahoogroups and how readily availible it is with searches - a newcomer can easily find us.

Many of the HeroQuest names seem to be taken up by folks playing some strange miniatures game. However, I'll amend the information of 'front page' and try to find a decent name to change us.

When I checked at Gloranthacon, Greg seemed fairly pleased with the current group setup here and had no plans to move the official group. There may be a highly moderated Q&A group appearing but I'm not sure whether or not that was going to occur or not.

Thanks!

Jeff