Yet another bloody mailing list.

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:04:13 +0100

Julian proposes yet another mailing list, leading inevitably to more confusion as to where a post "should" belong, which list a newbie should join, and more difficulty in finding answers to questions someone might have but not wish to ask.

>The intention is that it would be the place where "take it to the GD"
>threads could actually be discussed, without prejudice, without much
>moderation, and especially without the often incomprehensible
>depth of far too many GD discussions ...

Such a place already exists. It is called the Glorantha Digest. Incomprehensible Depth is not a necessary feature of threads there, and given Mr Lord is one of the worst offenders for introducing such depths, perhaps the perceived problem could be cured by putting his own house in order?

>Briefly, I hope that this unofficial ML could become a place
>where the Quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns might be
>a fertile dialogue between the definite beauties of the
>RuneQuest Sight and the daring explorations of HeroQuest.

Such is well within the remit of the Glorantha Digest.

>The purpose is to encourage the transmission of
>the classic RuneQuest visions to HeroQuest
>roleplayers ... and vice-versa ... ;-)

Such is well within the remit of the Glorantha Digest.

>The idea is that the ML will be a place to explore the
>deeper features of Glorantha without fear of censure,

The Glorantha Digest does not encourage censure of anyone for discussion of Glorantha at any depths.

>but without any dry, esoteric reference to the more
>obscure Gloranthan info.

I fail to see how a deep discussion of Glorantha can occur without referencing obscure info.

>The rest is up to you.

If it were up to me, the proposed list would go the way of David Boatright's ill-fated OpenHeroWars list. That too filled a hole that was not there.

Seriously, folks, a new mailing list needs a *good* reason to exist. There is already a home for all the discussions Julian mentions. Why not just use the existing mailing lists for their intended purposes?

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson