Re: Yet another bloody mailing list.

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:33:03 +0200

Graham :

> Julian proposes yet another mailing list,

It's an experiment, and if it fails, it fails.

> leading inevitably to more
> confusion as to where a post "should" belong, which list a newbie
> should join, and more difficulty in finding answers to questions
> someone might have but not wish to ask.

Answer: the official lists.

I perceive a need, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. I've just seen one too many thread killed by the moderators to agree with you.

When I say the rest is up to you, that's what I mean.

If the list actually does turn out to be useless, I'll just kill it. Graham, if you don't like the idea, then just don't subscribe.

> >The intention is that it would be the place where "take it to the GD"
> >threads could actually be discussed, without prejudice, without much
> >moderation, and especially without the often incomprehensible depth
> >of far too many GD discussions ...
>
> Such a place already exists. It is called the Glorantha Digest.
> Incomprehensible Depth is not a necessary feature of threads there,
> and given Mr Lord is one of the worst offenders for introducing such
> depths, perhaps the perceived problem could be cured by putting his
> own house in order?

Thanks for the encouragement, Graham.

> >The rest is up to you.
>
> If it were up to me, the proposed list would go the way of David
> Boatright's ill-fated OpenHeroWars list. That too filled a hole that
> was not there.

If the list fails, it'll be discontinued.

Do we really want a flame war about this ?

> Seriously, folks, a new mailing list needs a *good* reason to exist.
> There is already a home for all the discussions Julian mentions. Why
> not just use the existing mailing lists for their intended purposes?

Good question. What's the answer ?

Julian Lord