Re: Re: Mailing lists

From: Ian Leake <mail_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:29:56 +0100

Jane Williams wrote:
>> I am only really interested in the Dragon pass region. The GD is
>> filled with discussions about areas i, and i think most others, never
>> play in. For me these are mostly noise

Graham Robinson replied:

> No one list can please anyone. If we keep the number small (am I the
> *only* person who sees the benefits of this?) then *ALL* lists will be a
> compromise. They won't *perfectly* please anyone. But unless you create
> your own perfect list, you won't be perfectly happy with anyone else's
> anyway.

A small number of lists will:

  1. Concentrate discussion (i.e. achieve a critical mass of contributors and readers)
  2. Be accessible to the widest number of people (i.e. the will be easy to find and sign up to)
  3. Minimise the number of cross postings (although from what I've seen these are mercifully rare in the existing groups).

So here I have to agree with Graham - let's keep the number of lists down (please).

But what I am sensing from the discussion is that many people are dissatisfied with the GD format (even though some are clearly not). Speaking for myself, I find the subject matter interesting (although, like Jane I don't really care about the stuff outside the Dragon Pass/Prax region). But I almost never do more then scan the list of subject lines 'cos I find it too hard to find material.

The choice seems simple to me. Either GD is changed to become accessible (i.e. allow the choice of individual mails and a daily digest) or people will vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

> Is it really too much to ask that people try and compromise a bit first?

Yes let's compromise - allow GD subscribers to have individual emails rather than the one size fits all daily digest. Then everyone will be happy.

Best regards,

Ian.

--
Ian Leake, www.ianleake.net