Re:New to Glorantha

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 02:15:26 EDT

Guy:
<< If you were new to Glorantha, and wanted to start a campaign for people who have had no exposure to Glorantha, but had access to all published Gloranthan settings (official or unofficial),
  1. Which one, if any, would you choose?>>

If I were new to Glorantha I think I would go for the Barbarian adventures, Orlanth is Dead, Thunder Rebel path, simply because there is more stuff published. I guess it might depend on what sort of thing I thought my players might like but it's pretty hypothetical.

 2) If you chose NOT to go with a previously-established Gloranthan setting, which non-published area would you go with?

If I were a newbie then I am sure I would not have even heard of some of these places but if I explain the potentially interesting areas I might suggest if someone asked me. I am not restricting myself to the late third age because I like years to fly by without worrying thay I've missed things from the "official" timeline:

  1. Carmania at the start of the Blood King's War. Heroes would be the only-just-entering-adulthood noble sons and daughters of the generation killed in the First Battle of Chaos and are thus foes of the New Moon Queendom. Benefits of this setting are that the heroes are young and know little about Glorantha, have no elders to pass on their wisdom so must find things out for themselves. They have an enemy (the New Moon), other problems
    (previous generation was absent) possible quests (father went mad and joined
    the Mad Horde). There is published background on Carmania to get one started and also plenty of time for the Heroes to grow up and either turn red or die fighting.
  2. Kingdoms of New Wisdom. Heroes are exiles from the Kingdom of Splendour ruling a wretched land of Ignorants and trollkin. This has plenty of potential: huge mysterious ruins to explore, ominous prophesies, a remnant troll population lurking in their old domain, weird and dangerous cults and cultists (like Call of Cthulhu) , an imperial enemy on the border (Immanant Masters from the New Dragon Ring of Shang Hsa), potential for unusual Heroes
    (assorted flavours of Hsunchen, Pentan mercenaries, Kralori alchemists, even
    stranded Jrusteli adventurists). Potentially long range story arcs - "moving a star" might involve a secret mission into Kralorela, visiting the City of the Stars, crossing the Bridge over the River Kwai, encounters with the Extraordinarily Fair Feminine Legalists, etc. For those of you wit a wargaming bent, the whole area coudl also be a "warring states" type area - the Exarch become Dragon Kings after all, "Kings" means Kingdoms, so they are not a unified buch without an Emperor.
  3. ...damn, run out of tie. more later.