Re: Re: Harvest info

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:20:21 +1000

There's a few pages on Questlines about Dragon Pass farm life - though I think I'll have to update it a bit after all the great stuff that's coming out of this discussion.

The Flora, Fauna and Farming Essay:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/florafauna.html

The old Stead Calendar - focus on farm life rather than holy days.:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/calendar.html

These were done before the TR stead calendar, so some tweaking may be in order. Mind you, most of the events I describe have a window of plus or minus several weeks. Interestingly, I described harvest as covering approx. three weeks.

I wuz a bush basher growing up, not a farm boy, so these pages are mostly derived from book research on ancient farming and hunting.

There's also the resources bits on Storm Steads:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/stead/stead2.html#key

And ooo, it's friday filk time. See the .sig.

Cheers

John

John Hughes john_hughes_at_... Canberra, Australia.

02) 6161 0365 (home)
0414 854 273 (mobile)

The Five Minute Iliad

Early the next day, once rosy-fingered Dawn arose, how it heartened the embattled Argives
to see Achilles' men join them in the fray! With great gladness now they poured forth, and beat the Trojans back, and chopped them into little pieces, little bitty pieces, that made nasty squishy noises when you stepped on them,
so you tried not to step on them, only you couldn't help it, they were everywhere, little julienned strips of Trojans, an eyeball here, a kneecap there, clumps of hair and gristle, floppy flaps of flesh, and splintered bone, and pools of blood. And at the head of the Argive ranks, brave Patroclus!

Achilles' friend Patroclus! Patroclus whom Achilles loved-- not like that, not really, although, yeah, they'd experimented in puberty, but neither of them really liked it, and it was just part of growing up, those feelings were perfectly natural, all part of being human-- Patroclus was killing Trojans left and right, and right and left, he forged a trail of death through the Trojan ranks, until he saw Hector, noble Hector, and remembered Achilles' words.

Zeus above, high in the vault of heaven, eyes of Olympus, your will determines all, even from way the heck up there. And so you willed it that Patroclus, greathearted Patroclus, extremely excitable Patroclus, should in his fury forsake the warning from his special friend.

He threw his spear at Hector:
wide right. Another: wide left. And Hector saw him there, saw Patroclus standing in Achilles' armor, and therefore thought he was Achilles,
since he didn't know about the whole armor loan deal, which could have made for a funny bunch of mix-ups in another sort of story. But in this one, it was harsh: Hector killed Patroclus. One spear, one corpse. Bada bing.

by Greg Nada, from 'The Five Minute Iliad' http://5minuteiliad.com/
(Not really a .sig, think of it a my Friday Filk)