Re: Re: Harvest info

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:20:10 -0400

Andrew Solovay writes:
> BEThexton <bethexton_at_...> wrote:
> >
> > For what it is worth, modern sweet corn grows fine in a
> > three year rotation around a veggie garden fertilized with
> > no more than good helpings of compost, provided that you
> > plant nitrogen fixers like peas or beans in the second year.
>
> ...but somehow, I doubt that even the Lunars have discovered
> crop rotation just yet--isn't that a fairly modern discovery?

I don't think so: I thought in some parts of the world it was an old, old understanding. In fact, I suspect that persistant monoculture is by and large a modern phenomenon outside of strict slash and burn agriculture communities...

But that's just a feeling, I don't know for sure, and I wouldn't mind standing corrected (or affirmed) on the matter...

> If someone in Glorantha were to discover a way to grow a
> tricky crop, I'd grant long odds that they'd think of "kill a
> criminal and pour his blood over the altar of the Great Corn
> Mother" long before they'd think of "grow beans every second
> year".

Why wouldn't the Great Corn Mother tell them the secret of "grow beans every second year?" Unless she has a particular taste for villainous blood, that is...

--
Viktor