Re: Re: Taraltaran Mystics: GD vs HQ

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:17:12 +0100 (BST)

> In my view this is a good example of the problem
> Glorantha has with
> attracting newcomers. Experienced players respond to
> areas which are
> not fully detailed in the current publications with
> references to
> unfinished works and articles printed in fan
> magazines years ago. In
> a list aimed at newcomers such answers give the
> impression that such
> material is essential and discourages them.
>
> The answer is to encourage people to do what the
> more experienced of
> us have done all along - if we haven't got an answer
> make it up.

In that case, question for the "newbies" and the moderators: if a question is asked along the lines of "what's known about area X, because I want to play there?", what sort of answer would you like? Let's assume that the current material is incomplete on the subject.

I'd always assumed that if any material has been produced, by anyone, then the questioner would like to know of its existance, especially if we can also provide copies of it by some means. (Obviously breach of copyright is not to be encouraged, but I've offered to loan copies of things to anyone local enough before now).

Would you prefer us to *always* add some sort of caveat about "whether or not you use this is entirely up to you" to every such answer? (And yes, that was a serious question. If it needs saying at all, it needs saying every time, as the original poster may be completely new to the group).

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others. Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm