Re: Flower Day question...

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:14:36 -0000

> I'm no expert, and while I appreciate the symbolism, but I've
> honestly never heard of people overwintering any root vegetables
> in the ground. As far as I knew, once the frost arrives and the
> ground freezes up, these plants would be written off...

In my garden I've got some potatoes that I haven't bothered to harvest for what I guess is 18 months.

That 18 months included one of the hardest winters we've had here in Virginia, and also one of the mildest.

They're happily growing bigger as we speak.

I'm just trying onions this year, but I know that various decorative alliums are almost the same as onions, and they overwinter quite nicely.

A parsley plant of mine also survived a hard winter and started growing again the moment it warmed up a bit.

Now, where I am we don't get frost heave, but we do get temps down to 0 now and then.

Mike Dawson
http://differentgames.onestop.net