Re: Re: Flower Day question...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:51:14 +0100 (BST)

Just been chatting to my little sister about this: expert amateur vegetable grower about to turn pro. She reckons most root veg can be overwintered in the UK, and some is improved by it. Some of the cabbage family can also be overwintered: again, in some cases the frost improves the flavour.

Leeks, as others have suggested, work well. Celery might (though apparently varieties that over-winter are a recent invention in the RW). Broad beans, if sown in the autumn, can be cropped early the next year.

That's UK temperates, though. I believe Dragon Pass is colder?

But back in Glorantha: aren't the grapes from which Clearwine is produced known as "winter grapes" for some reason? Glorantha is not the RW. Glorantha is magical :)

If the snowdrop, or crocus, was edible rather than poisonous, would that answer your Flower Day question?

Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html