Re: Re: Flower Day question...

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:34:26 -0700

Jane Williams wrote:

> That's UK temperates, though. I believe Dragon Pass is
> colder?

I asked my mother about it a few days ago (I grew up on a homestead), and to my surprise she said that potatoes and other root vegetables could be left in the ground. Shows how much attention I paid to the crops when I was a sullen teenager. Since it hovers around 0 to -10 F for long periods of time, and occasionally hits between -20 F to -40 F (which, conveniently, is also about -40 C), this brackets the issue.

However, she remarked that no one ever *would* leave 'taters in the ground, because "from November to March, you'd need dynamite to get them out, between the frost and the permafrost." Moreover, when Breakup hit (Alaska does not have Spring. It has Breakup.), root vegetables would probably be good and soaked as the freeze melts, and this can induce rot.

Which raises the fun question about permafrost in Glorantha: surely, there must be a *few* places in Sartar that have it, either through Valind connections or from being on the border with those pesky uz in Dagori Inkarth. ("Whut the? _at_##$@! trolls! The permafrost is back -- get mah Elmal ritual gear out, we gotta deal with this!")

Cheers,

James Frusetta