Re: Pre-Dragonkill Dragon Pass?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:38:03 -0700

> 1360. That's not pre-Dragonkill - that was in 1120. As the rest of your
post
> suggests, its the first decades of the resettlement period.

The adventure takes place in 1360 - the resources available to intrepid explorers date (at best) to the Dragonkill. So if they go looking for "the city of Orin Jistil" all they'll find is the Upland Marsh, already teeming with undead.

> For me at this time, most of Dragon Pass is given to beast and forest
power
> and 'newt. The Youf cities are haunted, melted ruins, given to ghosts and
> worse, and sensibly avoided by the small settler groups. Social
organisation
> is clan level at best, there are very few towns or roads, a time of heroic
> pioneers midst eternal forests.

I did mention "Darkest Dragon Pass" - The heroes are in search of Emperor Khordavu's Mines, and *will* include a big-game hunter...

This is a mix of Lost World Romance ala Haggard, Burroughs, or Howard and Glorantha. The Orlanthi and the Inhumans will take the place of the Watusi, Nyambi, Pygmies, etc. Native guides will worry that "the Drums have stopped", time will be taken for hunting Earthshakers or converting the natives, civilization will not be lost even in the wilds - we still dress for dinner! And horses cannot survive in Dragon Pass say the rumors, so long lines of native bearers will carry the expedition's supplies (the better to abscond with, of course!).

RR
- Richelieu