Re: HQ Opinions

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:47:04 +1000

>Comrade Galeotti:
>
>1. What do people think of the Homelands approach? Is there enough
>of a basis there to start you off?

My only experience to date has been with the ILH and the HQ draft. While I think they are effective, and do a very good job of presenting the cultures in a limited space, they do tend to be rather 'top down' in their descriptions. This is a relatively minor thing, but as roleplayers we can gain an equal or even greater amount from 'bottom up' descriptions - local colour, what people eat, wear, their weapons and sports, choice expressions, and mating habits. Yes, some of this is covered in 'What My Mother/Uncle/Godi/Priestess/Second Cousin told me, but these don't exist for every culture, and these things are equally important to a campaign as the history and more abstract descriptions. Some sort of balance between the two is required. But once again, I regard this as a relatively minor quibble. ILH was a wonderful book.

Cheers

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649