Re: Re: Humakti Devotion

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:37:48 -0500

simon_hibbs2 wrote:

> wrote:
> > I like this view. It has a kind of French Foreign Legion feel to
> it - a
> > place for those who want to leave all of themselves behind.
>
> I'm not sure this jives with the meaning of Humakt's severing of his
> kin relationships. He did so not to escape the consequences of his
> actions, but so that he could embrace those consequences fully and
> personaly. Of course I suppose it depends on what those previous
> actions were. If it was to do with broken relationships
> relationships, lost love, personal betrayals, etc then I can see it
> working. I think we'll agrre that you couldn't become a Humakti to
> escape the consequences after having killed someone though.

Absolutely. That was what I meant by the reference to embracing honor.

> > BTW: This brings up why I don't buy the idea of the newly made
> initiate
> > or devotee having to kill someone during the process of assuming
> the new
> > status. ...
>
> There'd be nothing wrong with including a killing in the rite (such
> as a scheduled execution for example), but I don't think it's
> required, it could be substituted by a symbolic act such as the
> sacrifice of an animal.

Again, I agree. I tend to play Humakti as quite willing to kill, but only for a significant purpose (or an honorable one, by their definition of honor.) I've just never really gotten into the view of Humakti as gore-drenched psychos engaging in blood rites full of sado-masochistic clap-trap. That is for the Zorak Zorani...

Gerald