Re: Humakti Devotion

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:04:03 -0000

I'm not sure this jives with the meaning of Humakt's severing of his kin relationships. He did so not to escape the consequences of his actions, but so that he could embrace those consequences fully and personaly. Of course I suppose it depends on what those previous actions were. If it was to do with broken relationships relationships, lost love, personal betrayals, etc then I can see it working. I think we'll agrre that you couldn't become a Humakti to escape the consequences after having killed someone though.

> BTW: This brings up why I don't buy the idea of the newly made
initiate
> or devotee having to kill someone during the process of assuming
the new
> status. ...

There'd be nothing wrong with including a killing in the rite (such as a scheduled execution for example), but I don't think it's required, it could be substituted by a symbolic act such as the sacrifice of an animal.

Simon Hibbs