More Winter

From: joe_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:20:28 +0100 (CET)

> From: "Bryan" <bethexton_at_...>
> Subject: A couple of winter questions

> I just had to shut my blinds, because the sun came around to my side
> of the building, and at this time of year it is very low in the sky
> and shines right in. If I understand my Gloranthan astronomy
> properly, the path of Elmal (or whoever) is fixed, and doesn't change
> during the year?

Mostly so. In summer it is slightly more northerly and a lot brighter, in winter further south and quite pale.

No chance at midnight sun on Valind's Glacier (and the Uzhim there say thank you).

> But the days do get shorter and longer by season, so
> presumably he travels faster or slower depending on season?

Must be speed, because Mastakos/Uleria still makes it in 8 hours per crossing. Alternatively, you might want to put Yelm higher or lower depending on the season, but I don't think that there would be a satisfying geometrical answer to this effect.

> From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>

> It has been awhile, but I seem to recall from the old "Elder Secrets"
> section on Gloranthan astronomy that the sun's path across the sky
> actually does vary north and south on an annual cycle, but I can't
> recall why.

The annual push-n-shove of the sky northwards and south again. Note that at noon the sun is before Polaris whatever happens.

> From: "Ian Cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>

> Adiabatic is 9.8 degrees C per 1000m (let's just approximate and
> call it 1 degree C per 100 m (or 330ft) between friends). So yes it
> is colder at altitude. I assume this holds true in Glorantha. The
> Inora explanation seems a good one....

Yeah. Back in Norway in spring and autumn I just had to look across the fjord to an 800 m high island and look where the hoar border was to know the temperature.

Another Gloranthan explanation might be that the lower and middle air is where sky is weakest.