Return of the King

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:48:27 -0800

My wife and I attended Trilogy Tuesday at the local theatre (unlike some other venues, tickets were only $20 for the entire trilogy, and there was still space....). Starting at 4pm, we watched the director's cuts of the first two movies, and the RotK at midnight. Some technical problems with the DVD projector gave us a rocky start, and every once in a while some would lean on the "pause" button, giving us the willies...

Wow.

First, it's nice to know when the pee-breaks are in the first two movies
(any Arwen scene...), and having talked to the theatre manager, I knew when
the 2-minute reel-change was going to occur, so was ready for it when the lights went up. RotK clocks in at ~3 hours, so don't get the Mega-Size coke before the show.

A lot of really neat stuff in RotK; Legolas definitely gets my vote as HQ player of the film - doing all the really wacky physical stuff (taking on a mumakil single handedly...). It was great seeing the charge of the Rohirrim
(if only against the orcs and Mumakil - where was the Southron Horse?), and
I enjoyed the summoning of the army of the dead. Eowen taking out the Witch King was right on, I thought. One of the many "Whoo-Hoo" moments of the battle.

Unfortunately, Peter Jackson messed still further with the motivations o fthe characters, so purists may want to go in expecting to get annoyed. And Mordo seems to be a lot smaller than I thought -0 It's only a day's journey to get from Cirith Ungol to Mt Doom. And no Voice of Sauron at the Black Gate?!? I'm still firmly in the anti-Arwen league, I didn't think her scenes added anything to the movie, and the writers really f*cked up Aragorn's motivations to shoehorn her in. Faramir continues to get the dhort end of the writing stick.

So, I'm of mixed mind - on the one hand, it is stunning visually. On the other hand, there was so much done (or not done that should have been) with the story. Ellen & I give it half a thumb up each, so together that's one thumb.

RR
- Richelieu