Majestic Spirit Dragon Independent Practice

From: jessedn_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 05:38:57 -0000

Hi, I am starting a game for people that are largely new to Glorantha in about a month or two. Currently I am running an Esrolian test campaign and I think I have enough of a handle on the rules and the setting to be able to handle moving on to a real saga. I have recruited a group of players and have gathered that the general cosensus is a preference for a Lunar campaign.

The first player expressed an interest in playing a character who was a dragonnewt in a previous life but something went wrong and he ended up in a human body. He also liked the idea of worshipping dragons in an animistic fashion. After some discussion we agreed that the Darjiini culture seemed most appropriate for his character and that a fringe animist practice, modeled with an independent practice, would best suit his character's religious beliefs. The current form of the practice is below. Does anyone see any wild inconsistencies with established Gloranthan lore or metaphysics or have any sort of suggestions on how I could flesh it out?

Majestic Spirit Dragon (Independent Practice)
[i]The Inner Dragon[/i]

The Majestic Spirit Dragon is a unique spiritual entity that arose as a guide to the dragon spirits that became lost in the Great Darkness, finding their way into human bodies rather than those of the dragonnewts. His practice is centered around teaching practioners how to cultivate their inner draconic spirit and find their way back into the cycle of spiritual advancement. Practioners can be found in many animist cultures, seeking to understand dragon spirits so they can gain a greater understanding of their own spirits, and eventually break from the human shell they are trapped in. When they recognize other dragon spirits they seek to induct them into the practice and teach them the ways of the Majestic Spirit Dragon. Noone is forced into it, though, as only when a spirit is willing will it be able to learn the ways to escape the human shell.

[i]Entry Requirements[/i]: Must be a reincarnated draconic spirit.
[i]Abilities[/i]: Draconic Philosophy, Follower of Majestic Spirit
Dragon, Majestic Spirit Dragon Practice Knowledge, Meditation, Open Spirit World, Speak Draconic, Spirit Face
[i]Virtues[/i]: Contemplative, Revere Dragons
[i]Practice Spirits[/i]:

Dragon Spirits (choose two of these) - Fly Fast 17w, Breath of
[Harmful Substance] 10 to 6w, Dragon Claws 11 to 3w, Dragon Bite 17,
Dragon Scales 15, Hear Intruder 3w, Resist Magic 10 to 2w, Strong 20, Tough 18
[i]Spirit Ally[/i]: Members of the Majestic Spirit Dragon Practice may
only have dragon spirit allies.
[i]Practice Secret[/i]: Incarnate Dragon (The practioner may incarnate
any dragon spirit he knows; see Heroforming in the Basic Magic chapter, page 109)
[i]Practice Secret Requirements[/i]: Follower of Majestic Spirit
Dragon 1w2, Draconic Philosophy 1w2, Open Spirit World 1w2
[i]Charms and Fetishes[/i]: Usually made from the claws, teeth, and
scales of reptiles, beaded together into necklaces or other jewelry.
[i]Other Side[/i]: The Majestic Spirit Dragon's Mountain is deep in
the Mountains of Hidden Ways.
[i]Disadvantages[/i]: Members of the Majestic Dragon Practice are
considered to be outsiders in their culture. They have accepted the fact that their spirit has emerged from a source that most Gloranthan cultures hold in a mixture of fear and awe.