Re: Durulz queries

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:55:51 -0000

Hi Stephen,

[While I was writing this long ramble, I noticed Guy had said some similar things... bugger :o)]

Despite the fun and silliness, the durulz have received relatively little 'official' characterisation over the years, and beyond YGWV, there's a heck of a lot of room for manoeuvre.

I think you can look at two extremes: (i) that the durulz are a culture totally alien to that of the character's new family, with bizarre gods and megalomaniacal creation myths, or (ii) that the durulz of the Upland Marsh are basically Orlanthi Heortlings with feathers, flippers, and a truly bizarre taste in sports.

I've seen a bit of both in the writings, in print or on the Glorantha Digest, but I tend to edge towards the latter. In my campaign, the Dragon Pass durulz character was created by taking the species keyword and simply adding a modified Durulz Heortling cultural keyword on top.

>From the 'Typical Duck Boater', you can pretty easily see what
culutral modifications might alert themselves: namely Boating, [more specific local] Knowledge*, a more appropriate (?) cultural weapon; and if the ground is especially wet, you can always replace Farming with something else. Then you could add a skill like 'Marsh Lore'-- the Heortlings aren't overburdened with abilities, and there is fair room for more. And fun ones like 'Navigate Through Mist' and 'Signalling Yodel' are always good. Mind you, I like keeping 'Walk in Snowshoes' (it makes me giggle).

*I'm often tempted to make Dragon Pass Geography a broad ability, anyway

In this example, do Heortling myths and Durulz myths differ that much? I guess the characters in the ducks' myths are a little more feathered, but you could argue that abilitywise they are effectively one and the same. Okay, mention of Efrodar Blackfeathers and Indrodar Greyduck may bring a few raised eyebrows in Boldhome, but you can't be blamed for the Heortlings' miscomprehensions.

In this paradigm, I can't see there being many differences between the Heortling as he was raised, and his return to his own kind. Naturally, the character might have been forced to adopt some defining durulz abilities as cultural ones: Boasting and Swim being the obvious two. And maybe Cowardice and... but now we're getting into dangerous territory.

Good examples of durulz like these can be found, for example, in the Anas Clan in Tradetalk #19. Sure, there are differences (e.g. the Swan Mother), but I'd take most of them as roleplaying trends, with a few modified abilities as above. If you feel that the Lunar oppression really left its mark, abilities such as 'Hide in Reeds' etc., would be appropriate additions to the cultural keyword as a whole.

Outside of this, I'm not well enough versed on the different durulz creation myths to comment. 'My' own thoughts on the durulz have focused on megalomaniacal, volcano-worshipping Caladran durulz (out of interest, the abilities are: Beak & Fist Fighting, Caladran Geography, Canoeing, Climbing (after a fashion), Drulzek Customs, Hide in Jungle, Jungle Survival Skills, Speak Drulzekki, Work [two of wood, bone, obsidian or stone]) and cannibal pygmy duck limbo dancers.

These are obviously 'different', but IMG my Dragon Pass durulz are 'normal'! :o)

One thing I would add: given his age, and how you assume ducks age, he was probably initiated into theistic worship in the Storm Pantheon while in a durulz community. THAT might be fun. He will perceive elements of the Pantheon and otherwold differently, no doubt, and this should have some amusing knock-ons.

Best,

Stu.