Re: Illuminated Uroxi?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:52:54 -0800

> Can you help me out. I have this idea of having an Uroxi beserker
> illuminated. Is that possible. The idea is he was a Heortling
> Warrior made captive during Starbrows rebellion and sold as a slave
> to Lunar Noble and illuminated by being bombarded with Nysalor
> riddles. On escape he is trying to escape the illumination and has
> joined the Strombulll cult is rabidly anti chaos. I suppose he kind
> of feels he has been psychologically raped by Lunar Chaos. His goal
> I suppose would be to try and Heroquest to remove the illumination.

There is nothing chaotic *in and of itself* with Illumination. Illumination allows the Illuminate to chose for himself (and not get caught - illumination hide the taint of chaos from people like Storm Bull and defeats Spirits of Retribution - at least Runequest Illumination does, and we don't have a HQ version). But there is nothing that says "If you are illuminated you *must* worship chaos".

Greg and I discussed Illumination long ago, coming more-or-less to the understanding that illumination is a sudden Capital-M Mystical understanding, and most illuminates are basically insane ever after (yep, even ones that sought it out). They don't have the years of training that Capital-M Mystics have to learn to control their "flash of insight". They are suddenly confronted with everything they have done to this point, and how it has harmed (or helped) themnselves and the people around them - all their sins are laid bare for their inspection, all the results of their actions shown, all their impact on the world. Most people simply collapse under the pressure. A few become the typical RQ player-illuminate, worshipping whatever god gives them the best magic and skills. Some reture to a monastery and contemplate their naval until they pass beyond the world in Mystical Oneness. Some become great leaders for "Good" (whatever they percieve that to be), some for "Evil" (ditto).

All that being said, it sound like your Uroxi Illuminate is more "Anti Mind-Raping Lunars" than anti-chaos. Urox provides potent magics that incidently help against some aspects of the Lunar religion.

As for HQing to remove Illumination? Even the gods didn't do that. A totally un-known HQ, and I don't think a practical way (other than those memory wipes and Short Sharp Shocks) to "undo" illumination. It would like HQing to prevent yourself from being born.

RR
- Richelieu