Re: Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:33:08 +0000

>As he put it "When I heard about a world of myths, I thought I was
>going to be making them and not recreating them."

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the problem is that the player is more in tune with the setting than you are. One thing that everyone playing HQ needs to realise to get the most out of it is that the cultural rules that are presented are the norm, but the PCs are the exceptions. The normal HQ campaign takes place during the Hero Wars. This is a time when new myths are created, new paths forged, new ideas shape the world.

You've given the player the normal dragonewt path, but that shouldn't be prescriptive. The player is perfectly free to say "Fine, but my guy is gonna try THIS instead." Indeed, I'd encourage him to. Maybe his 'newt's short cut will work. Maybe it won't. But it will definitely lead to lots of surprises, twists, and a good story. In other words, he needs to figure out how and why his PC is different from the norm. It sounds like he already has some ideas.

So, yeah, he should be making myths. That's the fun bit.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson