Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:42:48 -0000

> As he put it "When I heard about a world of myths, I thought I was
> going to be making them and not recreating them."

Something that happens in our games a lot is that the players decide to get magical help resolving a pressing problem by performing a HeroQuest. A heroquest the narrator has not prepped them with beforehand. They make it up, on the spot, because they need it. Now most times we take a break to let the poor narrator figure out the details for the next session. But its player contributed. Sure you have to work with the players to get something that fits, toss in some suprises, but the instigation from the players may be something like "you know I bet there is a myth where Warnath* did this".

But, sometimes "yes, but..." is useful too. If a lost dragonewt soul does not work for you, suggesting something that achieves what the player is seeking by a different means, like the EWF, is a good approach.

*Warnath the Firebull clan founder and hero. Whaddya mean you never heard of him ;-)