Re: Magic in Glorantha?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:08:10 -0800

Oliver

>So I'm at the store and the merchant does his Convince Buyer feat on
>me, say at 10W and all I've got to resist with is my puny default 14
>resistance? Once I've left that store I'm not going back there
>again.

Yes you will. Those of us who have better resistance might not... (I'd guess most heroes can come up with a couple of augments at least to help resist.)

Besides, the whole point of a good deal is to make both parties happy. If the merchant criticals, he might find the highest price point you're willing to pay and still be happy.

>Can you augment magic with mundane
>abilities? Can I use my Jump Skill to augment by Jump Tree Feat?

I'd say yes UNLESS the resistance is 14. For example, the Vingan Mile Javelin Throw feat is supposed to have a resistance of 14 when throwing a javelin for one mile. You wouldn't be able to augment it with Strong or Keen Vision. But if you wanted to throw a javelin a mere half mile, you'd be dealing with improvisational penalties or range modifiers (or both), and you could augment.

Keith

>I see the best RW analogy to be to stores offering guarantees, doing
>advertising, loyalty cards etc. These are a form of marketing
>"magic" that one might
>choose to ignore, avoid or feel unaffected by - but it works, else
>no one would

Rebates are marketing magic that clearly wears off once you leave the store (since they're so hard to claim).

--

David Dunham