Re: Digest Number 1575

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:17:58 -0000

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_q...> wrote:

>>I'd rather give Esrola ceremonies a "hostile" modifier.

>>The aspect that has died (or at least not reawakened) was some part
>>of the Great Earth Spirit worshipped at the Paps.

> The land is still dead and the Praxians can't contact any fertile
> earth spirit.  Surely that counts for something in suggesting
> that the Praxian Sartarites have similar problems?

The Praxian Beast Riders don't care about agricultural (or horticultural) spirits. To them, it is unnatural to plant something and watch it grow.

The oasis folk (including those at the Paps) have a quite functional agriculture or horticulture which provides sufficient surplus to survive being plundered by the Praxians. They are restricted to places unravaged by the Wildfire, though, where sufficient water flows.

Prax is scarred by fire. Tada, its earth king is dead. Redwood has been reduced to a stump. Storm Bull keeps out the rains. But the land isn't quite dead.

>>The Fourty-Eight Old Ones - the
>>agricultural spirits of the Oasis People - still reside at the Paps.

> The 48 old ones are the shattered fragments of the Horn of Plenty.

CoP p.30:
"These are the remnants of the old agricultural spirits still attached to the cult at the Paps. Each may be gotten as an allied spirit by priestesses of the Paps."

> Hardly agricultural spirits.

Where does that Horn of Plenty reference stem from? And what makes the Horn of Plenty separate from agricultural spirits?