RE: Re: Dragonewt Plinths

From: matthew.cole_at_...
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:31:03 -0000

I had an idea that Escher would be close. Of course, I do actually *have* to be able to describe it; I don't want to say "it's beyond description" or "it's all sort of non-Euclidian you know what I mean?"

Jane wrote: "Assuming that you're human (it's hard to tell by email)." You could describe me as human, although appearances can be deceptive. We've met at Convulsion and maybe even at Conjunction (but my memory isn't that good!).

One idea would be to describe what can be seen outside of the road. I conceived of the dragonewt road being like an undulating pathway that sometimes ran high in the clouds and sometimes low down at ground level. I like the idea of a displaced time effect but want to keep 'perceived time' as normal (except, maybe, in short bouts of acceleration or deceleration). The effect on what you see 'through the walls of the road' (!?) could be an interesting descriptive tool. Does this inspire an image?

All of this is to make the story telling that much more rich - I'm not going for the simulationist approach. Thanks for your involvement, this list is invaluable for that sort of thing.