RE: Re: Dragonewt Plinths

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:35:52 +0000 (GMT)

> You gave specific examples.
> - I think they are really excellent and they made me
> laugh!

Tell me what you really want to describe and I'll see if I can come up with more.

I wonder if you could manage a fight scene in one of those Escher pictures where half the people present are upside down? Your opponent is above your head? Or maybe your sword goes straight through him unless he's in the same gravity direction as you are?

> - apart from the headache bit, I feel this is a bit
> of a cop-out.

Yes, it is. Sorry :(

> modelling in virtual reality - if you did, you'd
> need some of those really cool and expensive 3DS-Max
> plugins!!

Nope. Did you ever see my "virtual Pavis"? Coding it takes time (well, those examples I could run off in an hour or so), but I used to have a fully "you can wander round this" Pavis that I could run on an ancient laptop. In fact, I tried running it up on my PDA for a laugh, and apart from some syntax problems with the directory structure, it worked.

I thought we'd demoed it at a Convulsion a while back? People were doing really weird things like climbing up to the top of the Sun Dome and viewing the place from there (and jumping off). Worm's eye view of Pavis, lying in the gutter outside Gimpy's. And so on. I really should get back to that.

Although modelling the weirder bits of a DN road sounds like more fun :)

> - hmm interesting. I'm not sure about the whole 'eye
> thing' but I get your drift. Right and left sides of
> the brain would maybe be closer! But how to protray
> it?!! Hmmm

R&L sides of brain is exactly it, in fact. If you read some of the myths about EWF dragons, you keep getting this thing about doing everything left-handed. I don't have sources with me in work, so can't quote instances - sorry.

> - 5'10", long blond hair, very ugly, dressed in....?
> black! what else :)

That describes about 25% of the people there :(

> Jane:
> Simulation of this would require understanding of
> quantum mechanics that's way beyond me.
>
> - now I thought I understood a little about QM but
> then I read.........

the results of my memories of a physics degree far too long ago. I've probably got it all wrong.

> - I could always get our mate Stephen Hawking (or
> 'Stevie' as we call him down the pub!:) to narrate
> this bit for me. Added atmos!

Get him to explain the QM. I never got as far as having him as a lecturer, sadly.

> Maybe I should take some drugs and take a ride on
> the tube with my notepad (or maybe a tape recorder)!

You need drugs to make the London Underground seem surreal??

Jane Williams

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save �80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk