Re: Teshnos

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:35:40 -0000

Which somehow stuck in my mind as significant - which is probably just the way my mind works.

> > 2. In a caste-ridden society you would expect all sorts of
ritual
> > restrictions and limitations, restricting low-caste hunters
would
> fit
> > in with that. I don't think such a limitation should apply to
> > soldiers who should probably be regarded as of a distinctly
higher
> > sub-caste (if not of an entirely higher caste).
>
> Agreed. Although IMO the caste restrictions in Teshnos should
mostly
> be for how impressive things are, not how practical they are.

Bows are really not that practical in the rain forest anyway. For the purposes of killing stuff for food a blowgun is probably a more practical option.

Its also a very sneaky quiet weapon which fits in with the stealth magics of the hunters.

> > 3. I just like the idea of invaders of Teshnos being harried by
> blow-
> > dart wielding hunters, never knowing if a sting is an insect
bite
> or
> > a poisoned dart. Its a MGF thing.
>

> Hmmmm, blowguns will only take down big prey if they use poison
> darts, and there is certainly nothing in the magics of the
Invisible
> Leopard to suggest poisons.

In a full keyword write-up I would probably have an ability like Brew Dart Poison or possibly Handle Poisonous Frogs.

>Yet what good is being a hunter in the
> jungle if you can't go after the rogue tiger terrifying the
village,

I don't think your average hunter would mess with Tigers, that's for the wannabe heroes. Which is to say that nothing stops an individual from worshipping a different god or using a different weapon.

> Mind you, for most hunting, a self bow does a reasonable job,
> especially with the limited visibility in the jungle usually
meaning
> you aren't making long range shots. On the other hand, those
highly
> trained (if largely ceremonial) warriors will have competitions of
> accuracy and long range shooting.

With finely made composite bows that would probably moulder into uselessness after any time in the rain forest. Which fits my vision of the warrior caste as being effectively useless for the defence of Teshnos, the real defence is from the jungles and the hunters that inhabit it - who are of course looked down upon with contempt by the warriors.

--
Nic