Question about dealing with hostile spirits...

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:53:11 -0500

Recently in my "Redjay" campaign, one of the PC's relatives was grievously injured in a battle with a small band of Broo. For dramatic reasons, I put the guy into a feverish state and said that he'd been possessed by a disease spirit (seemed reasonable): I wanted to show the PCs some things:

There were no "rules" involved in the situation; he was sick by plot-device.

Then, in the next adventure, I had the PCs go fetch the "clan shaman" who could help the sick fellow, and he spent some time chanting around the warrior, burning smelly incense, and then staggered out of the hut declaring that he had dealt with the hostile spirit, and that the warrior would be weak, but would recover.

So -- how is this handled mechanically in the game? I read p136-41, and there doesn't seem to be anything explicitly about how an Animist Practitioner or Shaman would handle this situation?

What's the "official word" on how this would be resolved according to the rules? For example, what if one of my PCs was the Practitioner or Shaman? How would I handle this problem if it were centre-stage and not just in the background?

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+