bronze supply (was: Re: Heortlings and inheritance)

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 04:04:48 -0000

Large scale operations were almost invariably operated by slaves. Things like the silver mines of Thrace consumed incredible amounts of... fodder. But by the 2nd century BC techniques had improved somewhat (introduction of more effecient gearing allowed treadmills to operate primitive lifts and skips) but even the large hispanic iron, copper and silver mines were slave intensive. The smaller gold  operations were probably less... nasty. They were often placer deposits which means one can just move gravel and overburden into sluices.

Sluices would probably be bad in Glorantha -- I can seem them killing river spirits dead, dead, dead.

> >Since the Heortlings are no great shakes at civil engineering,
>
> The same people that built Boldhome and the roads of Sartar?
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

...of Sartar -- using strange magics, if I recall. ANd since the cult of Sartar has been supressed, the roads _are_ decaying.

Joe Heortling isn't exactly good at civil engineering...

(puts on a very battered old geologist hat -- sigh)

I think that mining techniques for god-bones would probably be the 'mom and pop' level -- they are relatively small deposits of relatively rich material. These would probably be worked by small operations -- similar to the celtic smiths and bog iron. Some (NOT most) clans probably have a bloodline which has this sort of mining knowlege -- but it does mean that they won't have as much time for raising cattle/crops which would probably drive them into more merchantile pursuits -- its possble that such famillies would become more associated with tribal centres and cities and trade with clan & village bone-smiths (love that word).

Techniques are probably pick & shovel work thoroughout the DP region -- though battle sites would certainly have more extensive operations.  Something of that nature might have an entire clan devoted to it, worshipping some mining aspect of Gustbran and/or the local hill god/godess. Such clans might also be thrall-takers by convenience.

I can certainly see many smiths having their own supplies and sources of bronze -- possibly a secret place somewhere on the tula that only they go to.... This is also typical of ancient iron smithing techniques.

This is an interesting topic -- worthy of some thought. I can see some scenario potential here.

Thanks! Hope this helps,

Jeff

Trading with the dwarfs for bronze might happen as well, but I think that most bonesmiths would have their own supplies.