New Character Questions

From: gpili <gpili_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:24:53 -0000

I have a couple of players who are gearing up for a HeroQuest game, and have a couple of questions. It looks, first off, as if we'll be running a mixed set of characters from widely varying background -- one character may be Orlanthi, but it also looks as if we have at least one player who wants to be a sorcerer.

I've got some reasoning behind why these PC's might want to adventure together, but the main questions I have are about their origins.

The player who wants to run a sorcerer is thinking of something like Dr. Strange, an autonomous adept who had an interest in "protecting the world from itself." That is, he's interested in removing dangerous artifacts and magic from those who might use them for evil, or from those who simply do not understand how magic "really works." His ultimate goal seems to be to remove these things to a safe place. All in all, I think it's a great concept, but I am struggling with an appropriate place of origin. He's not too interested in the religious aspects of magic, and wants to stay away from the churches and saints (although he might not mind if he was brought up that way and "escaped"). Likewise, he believes most theists are dangerous fanatics who need lessons in maturity and discipline. Basically, he's an "atheist," who underestands and uses magic, and feels a need to save people from themselves. Could he possibly have gotten ahold of God Learner material, seen the error of *their* ways and gone off on his own. Are there any schools of wizardry that approach this sort of philosophy?

My second player is interested in possibly being a dragonnewt scholar, possibly studying the EWF, and past history in Dragon Pass. I am thinking a Lhankor Mhy sage might be a possibility here, conceivably with an ancestor who died in the Dragonkill War, who may have left behind a mysterious object of some sort.

Anyway, thoughts or advice is certainly welcome!

Thanks,
Gil