Re: Siege of Whitewall

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:31:17 -0000

Jane Williams wrote:
> --- Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_t...> wrote:

>> 1619 date, .. (CHDP).

>> "Gloranthan Military Experience" ... 1619

>> Genertela Box p.48 and HW Introduction to Glorantha >> p.147 corroborate 1619

> Looks a bit unanimous, doesn't it? Surely some
> mistake??

Thorough checking of sources, for a change.

> Picking up from some private email André and I had on
> the subject: could it be possible that Whitewall was
> under siege by *someone* in the years earlier than
> 1619?

Under full siege?

> It doesn't need to have been major, or
> effective, to fit the plot, it could just have been
> local tribes squabbling. I assume those big walls
> weren't built specifically to keep out the Lunars,
> after all.

Hardly - the Vingkotlings or early Heortlings had other foes.

> There was civil war in that area once the
> Pharoah vanished, wasn't there?

Civil war ensued after the Hendreiki king died heirless, too. Some may have been near Whitewall, but a full siege? Coverage of the gates, possibly. Gearing up siege equipment - hardly. Whitewall becomes Alesia only after the Bat assault is beaten off.