Re: Re: Duck-Point (and much mystical speculation)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:28:33 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 bethexton_at_... wrote:

<snip>
> Duck Point went wrong all the way.

That's a good argument Bryan. All I can say is that it misses out a lot of good fun with the Ducks. I've heard of many campaigns where Duck Point is an interesting and weird place to visit.

It's not as if "King of Sartar" is all that clear on the issue.

Inhuman Occupation (p. 103)

The non-human races which survived the Dragonkill Wars were these:

  .
  .
  .

* Little People, including the wereducks of Duck Point, who hated the denizens of the marsh...

The Composite History of Dragon Pass (p. 139)

Tarkalor:
"...Tarkalor built the road from Wilmskirk to Duck Point early in his reign, linking the capital with that river port and opening a second route between Sartar and Kethaela."

Salinarg (p. 141, about the invasion)

"...The victorious Emperor led his army south and seized Duck Point without resistance. It had been abandoned by human and Duck alike."

  ***

These references don't seem to point to an empty shell of a city.

I did find two references that claim the city was empty for some time after being built, but somehow it seems to mean it's empty of humans (people) not Ducks.

Anyway. The impression I've always got from KoS is that while Duck Point is not the fifth city that Sartar may have wanted (with the Colymar) it is a working river port, inhabited by ducks and humans.

I've grown quite fond of the Durulz over the years, and don't see why they shouldn't have their own city. :)

Anyway, the city wasn't built on nothing. Obviously there's been a Duck settlement there long before Sartar.

        -Adept