Re: Questions for a new game

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:34:08 -0800

> First session of a new game, and the players are getting into
> it more than I expected. Of course, they ask questions I don't
> know the answers to... Is there a more appropriate place to ask
> these questions?

> When an Ernaldan swaps from sub-cult to sub-cult over the
> course of their life, do they lose the affinities and/or feats
> that they might have from the earlier sub-cult? If they became
> for instance an "Enferalda the Supporter" devotee, and then get
> married and have children, could they move to becoming a
> "Mahome the Hearth Goddess" devotee? or is that sort of thing
> only available to initiates? If they do, then do they lose
> their incompatible affinities?

Storm Tribe, page 17 is where this is discussed in detail. Basically, it is the same as switching Aspects of Ernalda (Thunder Rebels, 71), rather than leaving one goddess to join another. Initiates *and* Devotees, can do this.

> I have a humakti who wants to use two swords (because it's
> cool) - from SCA experience, I figure it's probably more
> effective than just one sword, but less effective than sword
> and shield. Are there any rules about that?

It's no more special than any other weapon combo - "Two Sword Fighting". I'd allow both swords to be used for their bonuses in Close Combat, but not in reciving missile fire (Unless your hero has studied Arrow Cutting from some Far-Eastern tradition...

> Do re-sheathed humakti have normal "relationships" with their
> clan? or do they continue to have no relationship? I'm guessing
> they have some sort of relationship, although I wouldn't be
> surprised if it were lower than normal.

Storm Tribe, page 96. he has normal relationships, though they are *not* counted as kin, per se.

> One of the players wanted the "knife that cuts anything" and I
> was happy to let him have it; afterwards I thought about it a
> bit, and asked myself - could you use such a thing to sever
> relationships? Why does the Orlanthi Hunter have this instead
> of the Humakti? Will the Humakti get jealous....

Can't really answer that sort of question, but: At a high enough level, sure; Heck if I know; Maybe

> Oh, and I'm having difficulty getting my head around the
> archery "contest" - does anyone have any hints?

I just answered a similar question this morning on the Rules list (I think it was). You have to ask a more specific question...

RR
- Richelieu