Re: Re: Two swords

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:33:35 +0000 (GMT)

>> Using two

> > full swords, one in each hand, for anything but
> > thrusting, is a good way to cut your own arm off.
>
> I don't think so.

go ahead and try: if you can figure out how to do it effectively, I'd love to know. And no sarcasm intended.

> Then it was called "Case" and typically used only in
> formal duels by accomplished
> masters--for one thing nobody walked around with two
> rapiers on them, so they didn't
> get to use a case of rapiers against a mugger.

That's the one! Useless against armour, since you're using very light swords, but wonderful for duels and for Posing. I bet there are Humakti in Nochet who use this.

> My picky comments here are
> more to address concepts that
> people might have about how things really worked,
> not how to do them in HQ.

Me too. If you want to write good IC prose about what you're doing, it helps to have ideas on how things work. And not everyone has the chance to pick up some "real" (blunt) swords and go and play (at least, I assume they don't).

> Third, you gonna block that pike maul with your
> sword?

Yes. Either sword. And then kill the guy with the other sword. Sword & shield gives you less options to attack with (yes, you *can* use a shield as a weapon, but it isn't as effective as a sword).

But you're right, in most circumstances I'd go for sword and shield. It isn't as defensive as it sounds, once you get shield-charges in there, and "real" fighting rather than the pulled-blow variant would be even more aggressive.

(I asked my instructor once if I was making a mistake in concentrating on sword & shield, since I'm primarily an aggressive fighter and it's a defensive combination. "Not the way you use it it isn't!" he said with deep feeling. And he knows more than I do, so....)

> How about that arrow?

Nope! (Well, no doubt some magicked-up Humakti can and would, but it's hardly easy or normal).

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html