Re: Two swords

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:25:34 -0000

(I've snipped some stuff I don't have anything to say about.)

Ok, well first off it seems to me that a discussion of this may be now moving off topic. Plus, I think I had a similar discussion about a year ago on this (or the rules) list, though that one was about tactics and got bogged down in "whose recreation method was more realistic."
So I'll make my last on-list comments about this here, and if anyone would like to discuss it further, email me at mdawson at mac.com or we can even discuss it on my household web site forum at
http://delaflamme.org/index.php?option=com_minibb&Itemid=51 (membership not required.)

> --- Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_m...> wrote:
>
> >> Using two
> > > full swords, one in each hand, for anything but
> > > thrusting, is a good way to cut your own arm off.
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> go ahead and try: if you can figure out how to do it
> effectively, I'd love to know. And no sarcasm
> intended.

The real problem with two sword seems to be more of the "I broke my sword parrying that massive cut" or "My off-hand sword, being 2.5 inches across, was too small to block both my leg and my head."
IF you've got armor on, then it's really hard to hurt your self with your own weapon.

SCA fighting (which is what I do) conventions weight the advantage toward two sword more than I think the real world does, since using a rattan sword as a blocking object is much less difficult than using a real sword. The real sword will take excessive wear unless used for the more difficult sliding and guiding blocks. Of course, it is even more strongly weighted toward sword and shield, since SCA shields are essentially invulnerable. In a real fight, many shieldmen would get their arms broken or cut through their shields.

> > Then it was called "Case" and typically used only in
> > formal duels by accomplished
> > masters--for one thing nobody walked around with two
> > rapiers on them, so they didn't
> > get to use a case of rapiers against a mugger.
>
> That's the one! Useless against armour, since you're
> using very light swords, but wonderful for duels and
> for Posing. I bet there are Humakti in Nochet who use
> this.
>
> > My picky comments here are
> > more to address concepts that
> > people might have about how things really worked,
> > not how to do them in HQ.
>
> Me too. If you want to write good IC prose about what
> you're doing, it helps to have ideas on how things
> work.

Absolutely!

And not everyone has the chance to pick up some
> "real" (blunt) swords and go and play (at least, I
> assume they don't).

I encourage people all the time. Once tried to see if I could get a full contact trollball game together at some RQ con....

> > Third, you gonna block that pike maul with your
> > sword?
>
> Yes. Either sword. And then kill the guy with the
> other sword.

Really? You must be tough. One of the primary techniques I use to win a polearm fight against a two swordsman is to throw a blow so hard that their natural reaction is to try to block with BOTH swords, and once I have them doing that, they aren't hitting me, their weapons are in each others' way, and I get to relax and hit them. And if they don't do it, then there's a good chance that I'll blast through their block and hit them anyway. And there are guys lots stronger than me out there!

> Nope! (Well, no doubt some magicked-up Humakti can and
> would, but it's hardly easy or normal).

I think my favorite humakti trick is to cast Shield Destroyer on a throwing knife.

Repeating, I'm happy to discuss this further off list at http://delaflamme.org/index.php?option=com_minibb&Itemid=51 Perhaps we can summarize back to the list if necessary.

But in summary here, I'll say that I think Jane and I are in agreement on how to do this IN GAME. Mike Dawson
http://differentgames.onestop.net/